Due to the loss of all of the fixings whilst in storage with a relative, we were unable to put together our cot when we had it back a few months ago. No matter, for we placed an order with Mothercare, maker and supplier of the cot, for some replacements. Then we waited.
And when Gemma called them at the end of August, she was told some rubbish about the order not being processed. She learnt this was a nonsense excuse when she was asked to go in to pick up the parts a few days later. The delivery note was dated the beginning of the month. Ah well, at least we had the means to construct the cot.
Actually, we didn't. These were the wrong screws. I marched down to Mothercare and spoke to the manager. We determined that the design of the cot had changed and the new screws now too short. But she came up with a reasonable resolution. The screws on another own-brand cot looked about long enough, so I had her order a set. She also ordered a plastic insert for the front slider mechanism.
The parts duly arrived, and of course were wrong. The screws were still a little too short, whilst I was now told the slider had been discontinued and so a part from a different cot had been ordered. We felt that we'd been let down by Mothercare's inability to assist with a problem not of there own making. Now we were stuck.
Or were we? The above tale reckons without my new skills as a basic DIYer. I immediately knew what I must do.
I reached for my drill.
I could easily envisage what needed to be done to rescue the cot. The screws for the base threaded into a circular nut, which itself sat within a drilled out hole. I thought I would only need to make a new hole for each nut in order to secure the base. I estimated 15-20mm and pulled the trigger...
...and it worked. Although I needed to subsequently deepen my new holes, the plan was perfect, and the base and three sides of the cot were in place. The front, however, couldn't be put back; one of the two plastic sliders were also missing. I decided to replicate the method used for attaching the base by drilling new holes for a couple of screws and threads, and this worked a treat.
Now, there's one more thing we need to complete the cot. But we aren't due to get him for a couple of weeks...